HEMISPHERE MIGRATION NEWS
TSS Visa – An Introduction02/06/2018 6:12:38 AM
Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) Visa
March 1st 2018 sees the Australian Government’s new Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) Visa replace the long-standing 482 Visa program for temporary overseas employees.
What is TSS?
A temporary visa enabling the holder to live and work, full-time, in Australia for a sponsoring employer in a specific, nominated position.
TSS has two streams, short- and medium-term:
- Short-term – for applicants with occupations covered by the Short-term Skilled Occupations Lists (STSOL) applying for visas of up to two years; visas are renewable once, for a further two years. No provision for Permanent residency application.
- Medium-term – covers applicants with occupations on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) applying for visas of up to four years, eligible to apply for Permanent residency after three years.
What fees/levies are applicable for TSS?
Increased visa fees (for applicants) and ‘foreign worker’ levies (for sponsoring employers) will finance the Government’s new Skilling Australians Fund (SAF).
Fees for visa applicants, from March 2018:
These are one-off application fees.
- TSS Visa (Short-term stream – up to 2 years)
o Primary Applicant $1,150
o Additional Adult applicant $1,150
- TSS Visa (Medium/Long-term stream up to 4 years)
o Primary Applicant $2,400
o Additional Adult applicant $2,400
New Skilling Australia Fund Levy, for sponsoring employers, from 1st March 2018:
Applicable levies vary for small and large businesses, but all are payable at the time of Application for the length of the visa being applied for, on a per person per year basis!
- Temporary Visa Levy
o Annual turnover under $10 million $1,200 (e.g. for a 4-year visa the upfront levy is $4,800)
o Annual turnover over $10 million $1,800 (e.g. for a 4-year visa the upfront levy is $7,200)
- Permanent Visa Levy
o Annual turnover under $10 million $3,000 (one off Levy at time of application)
o Annual turnover over $10 million $5,000 (one off Levy at time of application)
What regulatory changes are in place for TSS?
TSS tightens existing regulations for applicants and sponsoring employers.
Individual applicants face increased requirements for:
- Work experience, generally all applicants now require 2 years’ experience at the level of the visa occupation being applied for
- Police clearance certificates are required for most applicants
- English language skills (NZ, UK, Ireland, USA and Canada applicants exempted)
Where can I get further information and assistance?
The Professional migration agents at Hemisphere Migration can help you make the most of the new TSS regulations and consult on the right outcome for your business and applicant. Call Patrick on 0452 473 808 to discuss your requirements.